Rules & Registration
Mayor Byron W. Brown’s Civic Innovation Challenge Powered by AT&T is a competition for WNY’s most talented computer scientists, coders, software developers, designers, hardware engineers and others to build innovative products/solutions that have the potential to benefit the City of Buffalo and/or its residents. The City of Buffalo and its partners aim to unite developers in the greater WNY region to develop mobile apps or other solutions that address community needs while demonstrating how mobile technologies can lead to next generation job growth and development in the City of Buffalo.
- Register by providing your first name, last name, and e-mail by Saturday, April 21st, 2018 (earlier registration recommended to receive challenge updates and opportunities for feedback)
- Be a part of team consisting of 1-5 individuals (all team members should register)
- Have at least one member of your team either be a resident of Western New York or a student at a Western New York high school, college, or university. For the purposes of this Challenge, Western New York includes: Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming, Allegany, Monroe, and Livingston counties. Teams or individuals who built a submission at Hack Upstate are also welcome to submit.
- Utilize at least one dataset from the Open Data Buffalo portal. This includes geospatial assets. Data from Open NY is also acceptable as long as the dataset has data that is applicable to the City of Buffalo. All Open NY assets are discoverable on the Open Data Buffalo portal.
- Submit all project materials through the Submission Form by Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 at 11:59PM EST. All submissions must include:
- all team members’ names and contact information
- a short video (2 minutes or less) that explains your product and how it benefits the City of Buffalo and/or its residents.
- Submit a link to your code, if applicable. Have you written code for your submission? Submit your code! You can utilize Github or Bitbucket or another platform of your choosing.
- Interactive demos and working prototypes are not required but strongly encouraged. You will have the option to submit a link to your working demo. If creating a demo is not applicable to the project, please briefly explain in your video.
- If selected as a finalist (1st- 3rd), at least one member of the team must be available to attend the Grand Finale Prize Announcement the morning of Wednesday, May 9th, 2018.